The new Moon or Amavasya is an important phase every month. It is the time when the Sun, our soul and the Moon, our mind are in close conjunction with each other. It is the perfect time for spiritual awakening and looking back at what we did in the past! The Moon affects our mind and emotions, with Moon losing its shine on Amavasya, we turn quite, conservative, somewhat low on this day. The Amavasya falling on January 21, 2023 is special because it has astrological significance attached to it this time.
This Amavasya is special because it’s the first Shanishchari Amavasya of the year 2023. This is called the Mauni amavasya and has a lot of relevance in Hindu ideologies. In the year 2023, on Mauni Shanishchari Amavasya, the karmkaraka Saturn will remain in its mooltrikona sign Aquarius. It is a good coincidence and will bring immense benefits for people belonging to different signs of the zodiac.
January 21, 2023 – Mauni Amavasya
On Amavasya, the main focus lies on the Moon. It is because; the Moon is a benefic planet in astrology but on Amavsya and 7 days prior and after it, the Moon becomes a malefic planet. It means it gives negative results during that period of time. The Moon represents water, and the sacred water bodies like holy rivers gain prominence on Amavasya.
It is believed that taking a holy dip in rivers brings great auspiciousness in life on this day. Scholars believe that the waters of the most sacred and holy river, Ganga, turns into nectar on Mauni Amavasya. Due to this belief, Mauni Amavasya becomes a special n important day in the Hindu calendar to take a bath or dip in the Ganges.
According to North Indian calendar, Mauni Amavasya falls in the middle of Magha month and also known as Maghi Amavasya. Many people take a pledge to take holy dip in the Ganges not only on Mauni Amavasya day but also during whole Magha month. The daily bathing ritual starts on Paush Purnima and ends on Magha Purnima day.
During Kumbh Mela, Mauni Amavasya is the most important day to take bath at Prayag in Allahabad. It is the day when there is Amrit Yoga and the Kumbh Parva is also celebrated on this day.
The right time for bathing and donating on Mauni Amavasya 2023
According to the Hindu Panchang and astrological calculations, few important astrological yoga-like-
- Khabar Yoga
- Chaturgrahi Yoga
- Shadashtak Yoga
- Samsaptak Yoga
These important astrology yoga will be formed on January 21, 2023, on the Amavasya of Magha month. This is the reason why this time Shanishchari Amavasya will remain special. Every date has a special significance in Vedic Astrology and the Amavasya Tithi remains at the top.
There are 12 Amavasya tithi in the whole year. The Mauni Amavasya is a significant tithi of the year, in which apart from bathing, donating, keeping a silent fast is very important. On this day chanting, penance, meditation and worship are done by staying quiet. In mythological beliefs, by doing charity on the new moon day of Magha month, one gets freedom from all kinds of sufferings and sins.
The occurrence of Amavasya on Saturday in the month of Magha is considered very special. In the scriptures, this auspicious coincidence has been called the great festival of bathing and donation. According to Skanda, Padma and Vishnudharmottara Puranas, taking holy bath, pilgrimage on Shanaishchari Amavasya in the month of Magha, all kinds of sins are eradicated. The donation made on this festival gives as much virtuous fruits as performing many yagnas. Along with this, the ancestors are satisfied for the whole year by the Shradh performed on this new moon day.
By bathing in the holy rivers on Mauni Amavasya, all the faults of a person are removed and he gets a good next birth. On this day, even impossible tasks are completed by fasting, offering and donating.
The date of Mauni Amavasya
According to Panchag, the Amavasya Tithi of Magha month will begin from 06.17 am on Saturday, January 21, 2023 and will remain till January 22, 2023 at 02.22 am. According to Udaya tithi, Mauni Amavasya is on January 21 2023. Bathing and donating on this day will be auspicious.
Why Mauni Amavasya is important in 2023?
The coincidence of Shani Amavasya with Mauni Amavasya after 20 years is very beneficial. According to the best astrologers, after about 20 years, such a coincidence has happened when Mauni Amavasya is on Saturday. Along with this, after 30 years, Shani Dev is in his zodiac sign Aquarius on the day of Mauni Shanishchari Amavasya. Amavasya falling on a Saturday is called Shanishchari Amavasya. In such a situation, the person who observes a silent fast on Mauni Amavasya and makes offerings and donations will get freedom from Kalsarp Dosh, Shani Dosh, along with Pitridosh.
What to donate to Shanishchari Amavasya?
- Take mustard oil in a vessel on Shani Amavasya and donate it after seeing the shadow of your face in it. It is believed that all the troubles of a person end with this. He also gets rid of the physical pain.
- On Mauni Amavasya, mix black sesame in water, offer it to Peepal tree, and then donate black sesame seeds. Bad things will not trouble your life.
- The person who donates mustard oil, urad dal, blanket, and iron articles gets the blessings of Saturn. He never lacks money. He also gets the blessings of his ancestors.
The importance of keeping silent fast on Mauni Amavasya
This is the only Amavasya in the year in which there is special importance of keeping silent. According to the scriptures, keeping a silent fast on Mauni Amavasya gives many benefits. Let us know the importance and benefits of silent fast on Mauni Amavasya.
- The sins are removed- By keeping a maun vrata or fasting silently on the day of Mauni Amavasya, a person's internal disorders get destroyed. On this day, the speech defects of those who observe silence are removed. One gets the power to control the senses. On this day, by donating and bathing silently, self-confidence increases and spirituality develops within the person.
- Removal of Kalsarp dosha- Kalsarp Dosh ends by worshiping Lord Vishnu by keeping silence on Mauni Amavasya and offering for the peace of ancestors.
- End of Pitru dosha- Pitru dosha is removed by worshiping, reciting bhajans and chanting mantras by remaining silent gives virtue many times than chanting by speaking.
- Auspicious fast - Manu Rishi was born on Mauni Amavasya. Buddha has said that taking a vow of remaining silent swallows sadness, guilt and sorrow and gives birth to joy and love. It is a religious belief that if one cannot keep a silent fast for the whole day on Mauni Amavasya, then he can observe a silent fast for at least one and a quarter hours. It will also give equivalent results.