Importance of Makar Sankranti 2022: Sun Transits Capricorn
By: Future Point | 06-Jan-2022Views : 1441
Sankranti is a solar event which refers to transit of Sun from one sign to another sign. Whenever, the Sun changes sign or house in zodiac we call it a Sankranti.
There are 12 Sankrantis in total that fall in a particular year. Although all of them are important but Makar Sankranti is considered highly special. The celebration of Makar Sankranti will take place on 14th January, 2022.
The festival of Makar Sankranti is celebrated by almost all Hindus in India. It is also popularly known as the Kite festival. This auspicious day of Sankranti has great spiritual and astrological significance.
Significance and Basic details about Makar Sankranti
- The day of Makar Sankranti is a day of solar event. On this occasion the Sun enters into the Capricorn Zodiac sign which is also known as Makar Rashi in Hindi. It holds a great significance in Hindu astrology.
- Since the planet Sun is the only visible Hindu God as we can’t really see any other God as such. The planets Moon and Venus could be seen through naked eyes though. However, the presence and visibility of the Sun is more phenomenal. Hence, the festivals associated with the Sun are considered extremely important just like Chhath Puja when the devotees worship Sun in North and North East India.
- Sun symbolizes divinity, wisdom and life and brings forth the best in every living being. The blessings of the Sun may remove all hurdles and miseries in life. The position of the natal Sun may very well predict about the auspiciousness that Sun will bring in your 2022 horoscope.
- The festival has religious and traditional significance. As per Hindu mythology, it is believed that the Sun (Surya Dev) comes to meet his son Saturn (Shani Dev) who is the lord of the Capricorn in Astrology. Hence, the festival remarks mutual bond of father and son. Sun and Saturn are however considered enemies in Vedic Astrology.
- Makar Sankranti happens at the same date every year in the Gregorian calendar. This usually happens on 14th of January every year with little exception on 13th January. The festival marks the beginning of the longer spans of the day.
- The Makar Sankranti occurs in the Lunar month of Magha according to the Hindus and in the January according solar calendar. It also indicates the end of the winter solstice.
- Makar Sankranti is also called the harvest festival. Farmers and their families worship their cattle, tools and land, thanking them for a good harvest and praying for a good harvest in the coming year.
- Makar Sankranti has great scientific importance as well. This is the day when Sun starts its movement away from the tropic of Capricorn and moves towards the northern hemisphere. The Sun starts appearing to rise towards North-East for the next 6 months. Sun starts to rise and set slightly towards North-East and North-West respectively from this auspicious day hence this period of the next 6 months is called Uttarayan. The remaining 6 months are termed as dakshinayan which means movement of the sun towards south.
The astrological significance of Makar Sankranti
- Sun and Saturn are considered malefics and are enemies of each other. They bring both positive and negative influences on people on Earth. On the occasion of Makar Sankranti, Sun enters the house of Saturn and stays there for a month or so. Due to its stay in his son’s house, Sun forgets its annoyance and hatred towards Saturn and tries to maintain a healthy relationship with Saturn and others.
- Hence, the festival signifies the mutual bonding of father and son. On this phenomenal occasion we all should remember that the love of a father towards his son is unfathomable. To know about the compatibility in any relation, one must talk to astrologer and take required remedies.
- Also, legend says that the Lord Vishnu conquered the demons on this day of Makar Sankranti. The sacred story states that Lord Vishnu beheaded the demons and buried them under the Mandara Parvat on this day. The festival remarks the victory of justice over injustice.
- This is the best time to take bath early in the morning, offer water to Sun, sit silently and meditate on what has been troubling you for the past 6 months.
- This is also the best time to recite Gayatri Mantra in silence.
- Makar Sankranti is also called Til Sankranti. As per the astrological beliefs, when Sun enters in its enemy’s house then in order to reduce its inauspicious effects, items related to Saturn are donated. Out of these, til is considered the main article of Saturn. Til is donated on this day to get the auspiciousness from the sun.
- The change of sign by Sun is a symbol of the movement from darkness to light. This is why, every state offers worship and prayers to God Sun in varied ways.
The Muhurats of Makar Sankranti
Makar Sankranti Date: Jan 14, 2022
Punya Kala: 02:43 PM to 06:15 PM
Maha Punya Kala: 02:43 PM to 04:32 PM
Do’s list on Makar Sankranti
- One should clean the house and puja room nicely.
- One should take bath early in the morning.
- The worshipper should apply ‘tilak’ made up of rice flour at forehead and tie sacred red thread on his/her wrist.
- One shoud then place offerings to be made in a plate like til ladoos (both black and white) and other things you wish to donate.
- Sprinkle rice on these things of donations.
- Worship lord Surya by lighting a lamp and chanting the ‘Surya mantra’ for 12 times. The Surya Mantra: “Om ghrini suryaya namah” or “Om hram hreem hroum sah suryaya namah”.
- Make donations to the needy people.
- Individuals also keep fast and donate khichdi in temples.
The Kite-Flying Festival
How can the topic of Makar Sankranti be ever complete without the mention of kites? It is also a festival of kites where people gather on their terraces to fly kites. Mainly in Gujarat, people organize kite flying competitions on a large scale. Some cities also arrange local and international kite festivals.
Medicinal Significance of Makar Sankranti
People eat and donate items made of Til and jaggery on this day. In Ayurveda, eating til is known to prevent arthritis disorders. If eaten on Makar Sankranti when there is a shift in Sun’s energy brings medicinal benefits to the body in terms of strong bones. It also saves us from cough and arthritis during cold season. Donations of til items and blankets are important as those who can’t afford these items may also have them to get their benefits. Donations help in removing ill effects of malefic planets from your life. A yearly horoscope report is the best way to know about the troublesome and good period of life which serves as a guide to the native throughout the year.