Holika Dahan 2022: Everything you want to know!
By: Future Point | 26-Feb-2022Views : 883
Holika Dahan 2022 is one of the major religious festivities observed across the country. In Hindu religion, Holika Dahan is an event of religious significance and signifies victory of good over evil. The festival is celebrated on the next day of purnima or the full moon day of Falgun Shukla Paksha. In simple terms, the full moon of Falgun month is considered as Holika Dahan. It is considered to end your miseries and sorrows in life with its fire mound.
Significance and Legend behind Holika Dahan 2022
Holika Dahan, or popularly known as chhoti holi marks the triumph of good over evil, and signify the power of love and true devotion.
Holi also signifies the end of the winter season and also the commencement of spring season. The origin of Holika Dahan lies back in vedic times. The ancient texts describe the roots of celebrations in the story of Prahlad and Hiranyakashipu.
Hiranyakashipu was a demon king, who had strong hatred for Lord Vishnu. Lord Vishu had killed his elder brother Hiranyaksha in His Varaha avatar and since then Hiranyakashipu had enmity with Him.
Hiranyakashipu then took strict penance and pleased Lord Brahma to get His blessings and got a boon that he couldn’t be killed neither by any Deva, human nor animal nor by any living creature who has come to this world through birth.
He couldn’t be killed either during the day or at night and any weapon couldn’t kill him. At the same time he couldn’t be killed either inside or outside a structure. Such intricate boon made him almost immortal and he took himself as God.
Pride demon king wanted everyone to praise him only and forget about divinity. However, his own son, Prahlad was a true devotee of Lord Vishnu and didn’t stop praising Lord Vishnu. Angry with this ignorant attitude of his own son towards him, Hiranyakashipu plotted several plans to kill his son.
Hiranyakashyapu sister, Holika had a boon that fire couldn’t burn her. So, wicked demon king asked his sister to take Prahalad in her lap and sit on a fire mound so that Prahalad is burnt and killed.
She did as was ordered and Prahlad kept chanting Lord Vishnu’s name. To everyone’s surprise, Holika was burnt and Prahlad was saved. Ancient texts narrate that Lord Brahma also warned Holika to not to use boon for evil causes else it will not work. This carries the essence of the festival of Holika Dahan.
Consult our expert astrologers online to learn more about the festival and their rituals.
Date and time of Holika Dahan 2022
In the year 2022, holika Dahan will be celebrated on 17th March and Holi will be celebrated on 18th March. Holashtak days will be counted 8 days before Holi i.e. from 10th March. It is a common practice to not to do any auspicious activity during Holashtak.
Shubh Muhurat of Holika Dahan 2022
Holika Dahan date: Thursday, March 17.
Auspicious time for Holika Dahan as per panchang: 9.20 pm to 10.31 pm. Total time of 1 hour 10 minutes will be available for Holika Dahan.
Holika Dahan Puja Ritual (Pujan Vidhi)
- The scriptures prescribe rituals for Holika Dahan puja or worship. People hold a bonfire to resemble the fire mound that was created to kill Prahlad.
- On this fire mound, several toys made of cow dung are kept. The figurines of Holika and Prahlad are also made with cow dung and kept at the top.
- After that fire is put in the mound but the figurine of Prahlad is removed as soon as fire takes place, as a depiction of Prahlad being saved from deadly fire due to blessings of Lord Vishnu and Prahalad’s true devotions to Him.
- One is needed to sit facing the east or north direction at the place where Holika worship is to be carried.
- For worship, garlands of flowers, roli, scent, flowers, jaggery, whole turmeric, moong, batase, gulal, coconut, five or seven types of grains, new wheat and other crops along with a lot of water is to be used.
- After worship of Holika Dahan with these samagri or materials, people offer flowers, sweets and fruits etc.
- Devotees also put samagri, which contains organic items containing antibiotic properties, or other cleaning properties. The fumes keep the environment clean and healthy.
- Also worship of Lord Narasimha is mandatory to end up the worship process beneficially. One then should take seven rounds around Holika.
Book Satya Narayan Puja at Future Point
Why Holashtak is considered inauspicious?
Holashtak days are counted eight days before Holi. These days are considered highly inauspicious and all types of auspicious activities like marriage, house warming and other auspicious events are prohibited during these 8 days of Holashtak.
The story of Holashtak and Holika Dahan are inter-related. Hiranyakashipu tortured his son Prahlad to extreme conditions in these 8 days before finally making him sit on fire mound on the day of Holika Dahan.
This is the reason that the days are not considered auspicious for any festivity or new purchases. But since Prahalad constantly chanted the name of Lord Vishnu, the days are excellent for carrying out religious and spiritual activities.
No auspicious work is done in these 8 days. But these days are highly auspicious for the devotion of Lord Narayan who saved Prahalad for his true devotions and made the demon king along with his sister to meet their ends.
What should we observe and avoid in Holashtak?
The word Holashtak is a combination of Holi and Ashtak. Asht means eight days of Holi. Eight days before the full moon of falgun shukla paksha, Holashtak starts. During the eight days of Holashtak, weddings, shaving, house warming ceremonies, purchase of movable and immovable properties are prohibited. However, these eight days are considered highly auspicious for religious and spiritual purpose.
- Duration: 10th March 2022 - 18th March 2022.
Things to be avoided during Holashtak
- All 16 rites prescribed in Hindu scriptures like wedding, shaving etc. should not be done during this period.
- The newlyweds are supposed to celebrate their first Holi at her father’s house rather than in her in-laws' house.
- One should refrain from buying all kind of movable and immovable properties. One should not even make long term investments or buy gold or silver.
- Avoid buying clothes as well.
- Some bad people also resort to tantra-mantra activities and totkas to serve their selfish motive. So, one should avoid unnecessary wandering during these days.
- Stay conscious while crossing chaurahas or any other crowd prone areas as you may accidentally fall victim of these totkas.
Book Holika Dahan Puja
Things to be done during Holashtak:
- Meditation and chanting
- God should be worshipped with true devotion
- Special rituals performed at the death can be done during this time.
- Chant Mahamrityunjaya Mantra or Vishnu Sahastranam stotra to avoid all kind of miseries and sorrows in life.
- Lord Vishnu and Lord Shiva may protect its devotees against all odds and pre mature deaths. So, remembering their names during this phase bring over all prosperity to the people.